Staffing and Role
Mrs. L Harrison – Head of History
Miss. B Freemantle – Teacher of History
Miss. A Hall-Vidler – Teacher of History
- Taking this course will give you an understanding of how and why our world has developed in the way that it has over the last 1000 years. You will develop the ability to investigate, interpret and analyse the major events, characters and ideas of the 20th Century which has shaped our world.
- According to the ‘Which?’ Consumer guides, “Historians are regarded as having had an education that trains their minds to assemble, organise and present facts and opinions and this is a very useful quality in many walks of life and careers…History is an excellent preparation for many other jobs”.
- Employers need people who are independent thinkers, open minded, disciplined, good at problem solving and able to pick out the essential from the trivial.
- History will equip you with all these skills.
The GCSE comprises of 4 elements:
- Period study – Germany 1890-1945
- Germany and the growth of democracy
- Germany and the Depression
- The experiences of Germans under the Nazis
- Thematic study – Conflict and tension 1919-1939
- The League of Nations and International peace
- The origins and outbreak of the Second World War
- Wider world depth study – Health and the People 1100 – to the present
- Medicine stands still
- The beginnings of change
- A revolution in medicine
- Modern medicine
- British depth study including the historic environment – Norman England
- The Normans: conquest and control
- Life under the Normans
- The Norman church and monasticism
- The historic environment of Norman England
Paper 1 – 50% Written Exam – 1 hour 45 minutes
Paper 2 – 50% Written Exam – 1 hour 45 minutes
What will I achieve?
GCSE Full course single award AQA World History.
We offer an optional visit to the World War I Battlefields in France and Belgium at approximately £250 and a trip to Berlin with the Languages department to Berlin at approximately £500. Also, there is a possible site study trip – this will be a day trip.
Quotes from Students
“History is a very interesting subject which I have learnt a lot from over the past two years on my GCSE course. It has made me think a lot about the world I live in.” Kate (15)
“History matters more than any other subject. Although you don’t realise it, history comes into every lesson.” Joe (15)
“History is an immensely important subject, not just at GCSE, but a way of looking at the past, to control the future.” Sean (15)