Staffing and Role
Mr Jones – Head of MFL (French, German & Spanish)
Miss Lord – Teacher of MFL & Responsible for KS3 Curriculum (French & Spanish)
Miss Boukari – Teacher of MFL (French & Spanish)
Mrs Matthews – Teacher of MFL (French & Spanish)
The MFL Department aims to provide students with:
- The necessary skills and language to engage in meaningful conversations with native speakers of their chosen language.
- A solid grammar and vocabulary base to enable them to achieve to the best of their ability in their chosen language.
- The necessary skills to become independent and creative learners
- The necessary language skills, cultural appreciation and sense of enquiry to be able to take their studies beyond GCSE if they wish.
- Dynamic, creative and challenging lessons in order to promote student engagement and achievement.
French, German and Spanish are currently on offer for study.
Year 7 – All students are currently studying either French or Spanish. Those studying French are following the Studio 1 course; those studying Spanish are following the ¡Mira! 1 Course.
Year 8 – All students are studying French and Spanish. Students in French will cover the topics of Healthy Living, Holidays and Home and Local Area, those studying Spanish are following the ¡Mira! 1 and ¡Mira¡ 2 courses.
Year 9 – Students have chosen their GCSE language and are studying either French, German or Spanish. Some students are studying 2 languages. Students are building up solid foundations for GCSE study following a variety of courses and teacher made resources.
Year 10 – Students are studying for the AQA GCSE in French or Spanish. Some students are studying 2 languages. We use the AQA GCSE course book in each language.
Year 11 – Students are studying for the AQA GCSE in French, German or Spanish. Some students are studying 2 languages. We use the AQA GCSE course book in each language.
Lessons aim to develop an openness towards and an appreciation of other peoples and cultures from the countries around the world where their chosen languages are spoken.
Students are provided with the opportunity to use their language in practical situations with visits to
France, Germany and Spain.
Extra Curricular and Activities
- Prefect leaders run clubs and drop in sessions in each of the three languages on offer
- Revision and support sessions are on offer from your son/daughter’s teacher in Year 10 and 11