Safer Internet Day
Today we're making a pledge to help create #AnInternetWeTrust as part of the official @GWR attempt for #SaferInternetDay. Join us, @UK_SIC & @2simplesoftware in breaking the record for ‘Most pledges received for an internet safety campaign in 24 hours’. https://2simple.com/GWR
Over the years, Safer Internet Day (SID) has become a landmark event in the online safety calendar, with schools across the world getting involved to create a safer environment for all online. Now celebrated in over 150 countries worldwide, and in its 18th year, Safer Internet Day (9th February) aims to raise awareness of emerging online issues and chooses a topic reflecting current concerns. This year the theme is: ‘An internet we trust: Exploring reliability in the online world’.
At 2Simple, they're celebrating Safer Internet Day with Purple Mash by offering several free resources that you can use. By focussing on reliability in the online world, they’re offering children the chance to explore the theme using the following resources:
- Safer Internet Day Quiz - A quiz to test the understanding of this year’s theme looking at consent and permission.
- Animal Activity - Choose an animal and think of something that is true, untrue and an opinion. Then have a go at making up your own fake facts for a website about the moon.
- Advertising Poster - What are adverts? Why do we have them? Where would you see or hear them?
- Advertising Quiz - Use your knowledge about advertising from your Safer Internet Day learning to answer these questions.
- Email Authenticity Poster - Create a poster to inform others of clues to look for when checking the authenticity of emails.
- Fake or Fact Article - Read the article about an ancient discovery and then decide whether the article is factual or not.
- Phone Call Simulation - Listen to the phone call, and then use the writing activity below.
- Phone Calls Writing Activity - Use this template to record your thoughts and conclusions for each of the phone calls you listened to above.
Below are some factsheets for parents aimed to help inform teachers and parents on some safeguarding advice for child safety on popular websites.