If a student becomes unwell during the school day, they should inform their teacher who will assess if it is an emergency and then call a First Aider to the room. If the student is not well enough to stay in school, we will contact parents (or emergency contact number if parents cannot be contacted) asking for the student to be collected and taken home. If it is an emergency matter, we may refer the student directly for further medical help, contacting a parent as soon as possible.
For students needing regular medication:
- a parent must bring the medication into the school office in its original container so that the pharmacy label shows the child’s name and dosage.
- The parent must complete and sign a Record of Prescribed Medicines before school staff can provide medication to the student.
- NB. Antibiotics prescribed 3 times a day should not come into school, as this can be taken before school, straight after school and at bedtime.
- This does not apply to sufferers of asthma or diabetes who carry their medication with them.
- If your child needs regular pain relief such as Paracetamol, this must be provided by the parent and again the consent form must be signed.
School is no longer able to supply any medication to students. All medication needs to be supplied by a parent.
It is also requested that asthma sufferers provide a spare inhaler, clearly named and with a long expiry date, in case they forget to bring one into school.
If your child requires an Epipen (allergy pen), they must carry one with them at all times. Please also provide a spare one that can be held in the Medical Room. Please also ensure that these are in date.
The school has regular contact with the Visiting School Nurse. She offers in school:
- a bookable appointment to see any student in confidence by request
- immunisation for Year 8 students ~ girls HPV for protection against cervical cancer
- immunisation for Year 10 students ~ tetanus/polio and diphtheria
If your child is suffering from sickness or diarrhoea, they must remain off school for 48 hours following the last bout. You must inform the school each day of their absence by emailing: email@example.com.
The medication form can be found below, however this must be brought in by a parent along with the medication to the school office.